Tuesday 23 March 2010

Of Young Ladies and Old Men

28th Feb.

Buoyed up by my success fo cycling from the garage, I went for a spin. I thought I would go to our local town from the village I live in and then round in a circle back home via a different route. So that's what I did.

Thing is, between me and the town are three hills. A steep one, a short one, and then a looooooong one. I had watched the first installment of Eddie Izzard doing his 40'od Marathons around the UK the night before, and thought 'well, if he can do that, then at least I can cycle to the local town'. Hmmmmm.

So, first thing. I do the first two hills. Puffing a bit now. On the way downhill to the third hill I pass a lovely young lady who is out for a jog. 'Good for her' I think. I get to the loooooong hill, put the bike in 1st gear, and start the climb.

Half way up, I get passed. I hadn't got off, but I was cycling so slowly that the young lass passed me! Yep, she jogged past me! Oh, how embarrassing! 'I can't stop now' I thought, and pushed on to the top of the hill. 'Whehey!'

2 minutes later I was sitting in the market place. I had lost all strength and the banana I had stuffed down before I left was really threatening to make a guest appearance. So there I was, trying to keep my stomach contents to myself, unable to move, when an old chap, mid 60's wanders up and asks me if I'm OK. 'God' I thought, 'I must look bad!' 'Fine' I mumbled, and off he shuffled, looking rather worried.

After 10 mins my strength came back, and I cycled back home. Downhill, which was nice, and rather handy, as I was beginning to think that the embarrassing 'Darling, can you come and get me' call was on it's way.

I would never have been allowed back on the bike again!

No comments:

Post a Comment