Saturday 19 June 2010

Whoops....

Erm, well, an intersting day to say the least. We arrived at Start Point at about 9:30 and set off at 10am. Weather was great, if a bit hot. We cycled up and down, up and down, across from Start Point to Buckfastleigh, then up on to the top of Dartmoor. It was incredibly hard going (10 miles in Devon is the equivalent of 20 in Wiltshire), but we were keeping good spirits. We made it to Widecome in the Moor, where Capt, Purser and our support driver Mother Goose had a cream tea, and I had ham, egg and chips. That was about 4:30, and we were tired but happy.

We reckoned another 15-20 miles to where we were staying overnight, so set off. The majority looked downhill which was a godsend after all the hill climbs we had done.

Anyways, we were coming down to Chagford. It was quite a fast hill, but we were slowing ourselves on our brakes to the best of our ability as there were a few sharp corners. I was in front, Capt second, Purser third, and Mother Goose was behind in the van, when a car came round a sharp bend. I saw it and applied my brakes, and the driver applied hers. She stopped almost immediately but my back end slipped out and started to slide on the gravelly bit that you often get on narrow roads in Dartmoor.

In an instant I hit the car with my right hip, was catapulted off the bike and hit my head on the car somewhere (not sure if it was bonnet or windscreen) and ended up on the floor. I tried to get up but realised very quickly that something was wrong with my right hip. I lay back down and Capt called an ambulance.

I was fully conscious all the way through. I was incredibly happy I had been wearing a helmet - I have a sore nose, but the helmet I had had a peak at the front which took the majority of the impact. So, rule number one "ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET"!

I found myself laying on the floor, my head downhill and on my left side. My head was next to the drivers door. Capt and lady driving the car were great - very calm on the phone. I found myself talking to the driver quite a lot, trying to keep myself calm. She was great, saying the important thing was that I was OK. I was well aware that we had both been involved in an accident, and whilst she did not have injuries she was probably quite shocked herself. Not surprising after seeing my rather large frame flying through the air towards her.

I knew I had shock, my hands were tingling, but I triaged myself, wriggling extremities. What I did know was that my right hip was giving me a lot of pain. All I could think about was Mrs Oddlad and the kids. There would a mixture of real concern, and then understandable anger that I was putting them through a horrible situation.

After about 10 mins I heard the air ambulance. The rest went very quickly. Everyone was absolutely brilliant - I was given some morphine for which I was very grateful, then they had trouble getting me onto the stretcher given my close proximity to the bank at the side of the road. I was then carried to the helicopter, slid in, and was in Exeter A&E within 10 mins. They were absolutely brilliant.

In A&E I was fairly comfortable, although the neck brace I had been put in was quite uncomfortable. I was not allowed to move until a doctor had seen me, but this took about (guessing here) one and a half hours. When he arrived he checked me over, removed the neck brace, and checked my hip which was/is very bruised. I then went off for an X-Ray.

The results were back, and about 4 hours later I was told that I have a break in my pelvis (the pubis part), and that although painful there is nothing that can realistically be done except that it be allowed to heal. I was then given some crutches, and had a hobble, but my oh my, it was incredibly painful. I was discharged and got a taxi back to where Capt, Purser and Mother Goose were staying. It took me 10 mins to get into the taxi, and 10 mins to get out, just with the pain and my inability to put any weight on the leg.

I do need to say that the nurses and doctors at the hospital were brilliant. Just brilliant. They deserve a medal a day for the work they do.

Capt, Purser and Mother Goose were pleased to see me, as I was them. A couple of pints of orange juice and lemonade and we were off to bed. The lads had decided that they were going to call a halt to the trip. I'm not surprised - remembering the looks of concern on their faces as I lay on the floor. They were both very shaken up.

So, I'm now back home. Mrs Oddlad and kids are OK, but a bit teary when I got home. I can now manage about 10 yards in 5 mins using my crutches, and cocodamol are keeping the pain at bay. Next stop the doctors on Monday to get myself onto some kind of treatment.

What I am not, however, is feeling sorry for myself. It could have been a whole lot worse. I will have to live with a lot of pain for a while, and probably have a good few months until I get back to ramming speed (no, not literally), but it is just my hip (and grazed elbow, sore nose, bruised shoulder, bruised knee, and sore nipple from cycling). So many things to take away from this experience, including the support of my good friends and beautiful wife.

So, what am I thinking about whilst sitting here? Not cycling at the moment, that's for sure! Uncertain times ahead, with work and recuperation, but fingers crossed it's not as bad as it feels.

4 comments:

  1. Oddlad, it will takes months of recuperation to get back to your current fitness levels but, and I think you know, you have a a couple of good mates who are prepared to do whatever it takes to help you reach your goals. The Drewsteignton to Mortehoe road will still be there in years to come and when your back to fighting fitness we will finish the trip that we started in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is a entertaining story, you can use some of your enforced idleness to write it up as a script for Casualty. I hope you have a good sofa to sleep on, cause I suspect going up the stairs is going to be off the menu for a while. BTW there are more straightforward ways of getting a free ride in a helicopter.

    PS. Does this mean I get my £20 back?

    All the Best Mike C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you are so lucid, what with the shock of the events, the pain and all the medication!

    Hugs to you and the rest of the Oddlads - keep blogging from your sick bed/sofa so we can hear how you're getting on.

    Love Roffsx4

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what Graham and mike has told me you were very lucky indeed.I am glad you are now on the mend.Well done for achieving the fittness level what you have done.Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete