Tuesday 6 July 2010

Small Signs of Progress

Well, after 2 weeks of pain, not sleeping at night, dozing all day and eating pain killers like they are going out of fashion, things finally seem to be making some progress!

First and most importantly I can now sleep on my side at nights! My left is more comfortable than my right, but at least I can get myself into position. It really is bliss (I've never been one for sleeping on my back, unless I have had a skinfull at which point Mrs Oddlad will give me a poke anyway seeing as I would be snoring like a steam train).

Second I can now put some weight on my right leg. It's weird really, but it's incredible how quickly the muscles have weakened. So, the way to move about is now a sort of shuffle the right leg forward and then, using crutches, move the left forward. I can actually go quite fast, although I have had a couple of stumbles (any little bump/rug edge becomes an obstacle) which have caused me quite a bit of pain.

Finally, I can now get into the kitchen to make myself a coffee. The pain is (and I never thought about this before) that when on crutches you can't carry anything! So, what I do is make up a flask and then carry it in a plastic bag. Brill.

So, I'm now sitting here feeling rather more pleased with myself, and looking forward to getting back on my bike. In fact, I have decided to get myself a new bike. I'm particularly looking at the Specialized Allez

See here

although I shall get it from Melksham Cycle Store rather then online. I feel like I need a bit of change, a light bike for fun, and something that is a touch more agile after my accident. That is not to say that I will not be riding my other bike, as it will still be my touring bike, but the Allez will be my weekday/weekend/fun bike. I'm very excited.

Onwards and (shuffly) upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment