Wednesday 19 May 2010

Gauging Progress

I was out taking stock this morning as to how far I have come in the last few months. This was on my 3 peaks (Devizes) then Rowde, Bromham, Seend and back home route.

If I think back to my first real cycle, where I dropped the car off at the garage in Chippenham and cycled the 2 miles to work. It was a tiring experience, but one that I got a lot of satisfaction from. I was, however, very tired after the ride. I then go back to when I cycled to Devizes, where my body decided it wanted to get rid of breakfast and an old chap asked me if I was OK. The following weekend Capt, Purser and I did our first Sunday ride, and I remember my legs feeling tired before I had even left the village, and we all felt incredibly pleased with ourselves after we had done 20 miles.

Fast forward to today. I got on my bike and cycled to Devizes over the 3 peaks (Potterne). I was in the centre of Devizes before I even realised it, I had been away with the fairies, thinking about this, that and the other. Not even out of breath, and no sign of fatigue. I then went round Rowde, back way to Sells Green and up Spout, again no problem at all, not even out of breath. I have started using 11th gear on these hills rather than granny gear that I started off using. I got home, had a shower, and felt like I had just got up. No aches, no pains, no tiredness, nothing.

The same was true on Monday when I cycled to work. I cycled there, cycled back, not tired, just feeling great.

I have lost nearly 1.5 stone and gone down 3 inches on my waistline. I am still on (just - see a recent post) on course to be under 15 stone for the charity ride. My last few cycles have averaged 17 mph.

I am wondering now just how much more fit I can get. Am I in the 'middle' of my fitness curve? I just don't know, seeing as I have never been fit in my life. Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment