Friday 9 July 2010

First Real Trip Out

Well, apart from Capt picking me up (almost literally) and propping me up in the pub last week (which I was immensely grateful of), I haven't been out under my own speed since the accident. Last night was an introduction to the senior school my eldest is going to go to, so I decided it was time to gauge how much progress I have made.

I made it from the car to the hall, and sat uncomfortably while the headmaster did his speech. The chair was one of those moulded hard ones - by golly it was uncomfortable.

Next it was up to the classroom, which was only about 100 yards away but up some stairs. This really showed me how much work I have to do before I can go back to work, as I was shattered after about 20 yards, in a lot of pain, and the stairs took me about 5 minutes, by which time the talk by the teacher was almost over and it was time to go back down!

So, as of next Monday, I need to start doing a bit more, maybe some stairs at home, and just generally increasing my stamina. The other thing that really hurts are my hands as they support my weight every other step, so I'm thinking of trying to wrap some cloth or something around the supports on the crutches.

One great thing - I have actually lost a small bit of weight! I suppose it's down to the fact that I haven't been able to feed myself rubbish during the day, and the amount of energy my body needs to heal itself. I am now 14 stone 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment